Saturday, January 19, 2013

Windows 8: My Review And Answers To A Few Questions


It looks like my post on Jailbreaking iDevices http://representyourcity-enterprise.blogspot.com/ was right on time for a lot of people.  I appreciate all the emails and compliments and I’m happy I was able to help.  In the process of reading your emails I got a lot of questions and comments related to Windows 8.  So I thought I’d post a review about the new Operating System.

If you go into the computer section of any electronics department you’ll see that the Windows 7 sticker has been replaced with the Windows 8 sticker.  That’s because all new computers are now sold with Windows 8, unless it is specifically posted.  The problem is that it’s designed for touchscreens and tablets, not the “regular” mouse and keyboard setup that desktops and most laptops use.   So why would they sell desktops and non-touchscreen laptops with Windows 8 installed instead of Windows 7?   Because it works just as well and there are features that actually work better with a mouse than with your finger, because you can hover with a mouse. But before we get deep into that, let’s start from the beginning.

From a user's standpoint the biggest difference right off the bat is the way your computer looks when you turn it on.  You no longer have the Desktop with all your icons and the Start button on the bottom left to bring up your Start menu like you had in Windows 7.  They have both been replaced with what is now called the Metro interface, also called the Start screen.  (You can see it on the big screen in the picture.)


What you knew to be desktop icons are now "tiles" that can be placed around the screen and customized any way you  like them.  To open on of these you simply click on it.  Or, if you have a touchscreen, you tap on it.  One of these tiles actually your Desktop and clicking or tapping on  it will take you there.  But like I said, there's no more Start button.  many people have complained about this, so there are third-party programs that will give you a Start button and Start menu.  The best that I've tested is called Pokki.  https://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu  Whether you install the Start features or not, once you get the beginning out of the way, Windows 8 becomes an awesome technological experience!  Here we go...

Being that I live in a Military town, many people around here use Skype to communicate with their deployed Love ones.  Well Skype was a download that you had to install in Windows 7.  But since Skype is now owned by Microsoft, it is integrated into Windows 8.  All you have to do is go to the Windows Store and download it.  Once you install it the Skype tile will appear on your Start screen.  Then once you enter your info Skype will import all your contacts, missed calls, pending messages, etc.

Since I mentioned the Windows store, let's go there.  An important part of Windows 8 is Windows 8 applications.  The Windows store can be found on the Start screen and it is where you go to download and install free and paid apps.  it works a lot like the Apple App Store.

Another new feature is how simple copying, pasting, renaming and deleting files, pictures and music is in Windows 8.  You probably move and delete files several times a day and don;t even think about it.  And sometimes you've probably if the task was done like it was supposed to.  With Windows 8 there's no question.  You get a detailed view of what's happening and how long it'll take.  To me, as an I.T. Guy, that's beautiful!

My Sister-in-Law is a photographer and last week she was asking me what the difference would be between Windows 7 and Windows 8 when it came to taking the pictures from her camera and putting them on her new Windows 8 computer.  The difference is that it'll be easier!  Windows 8 will automatically recognize the camera and it'll "ask" which pictures you want to import and where to.  The same with USB devices, flash drives, external hard drives, etc.  Windows 8 will ask you how you want these device to be handled.

Now let's talk Security!  Windows 8 comes with Microsoft's Windows Defender preinstalled.  If you've heard of Microsoft Security Essentials, it's the same program.  Except MSE must be downloaded and installed in Windows 7.  It's a already there in Windows 8.  People ask if Windows Defender is enough, and how good can it be as a free program.  I explain it like this, Defender is designed by Microsoft.  What better to protect a Microsoft operating system?  That's like I don't want to take my Chevy Trailblazer to a Honda dealership for repairs!  Now, is it enough?  Yes, it is enough for the average user.  But for me, I deal with sensitive material, so I also us Avast http://www.avast.com/internet-security and Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ alongside Windows Defender.  I have THREE bodyguards at my door!

Of course, no matter what, there are going to be people who will want to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7.  Yes, it is possible.  You cna do it yourself, but if you even have to ask if it can be done it would be better to let the professionals do it for you.  Either take it to the place where you bought it, contact the computer manufacturer, or (if you're local) call us at Entercomp...334-393-2667.

Last but not least, I get asked what I think of Windows 8.  Well my career field is working with computers and electronics.  When I'm in the field or on location I use my laptop to repair other computers, devices and networks.  I plug my laptop into the problem machine and Windows 8 gives me all the tools I need to resolve it.  From the new Task Manager to the improved Log Files and Event Viewer.  It also gives me excellent multi-monitor capability.  On my home system I have three screens, so I can do more with more real estate.  In a nutshell, Windows 8 makes my job easier.  So from an I.T. standpoint, Windows 8 is the way to go. 

So, that's about it on the subject of Windows 8.  If you have any questions or comments, you can email me at:



This post and anything I post on this site reflects my own views and does not necessarily represent RYC’s position, strategies and/or opinions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate Us